Welcome to the new Navarro County Gazette Crosswords Page! Each Sunday we will post a new crossword just for you, our readers, custom made by us. We figure every decent newspaper needs a proper crossword section on Sundays.
Sunday, 4/17/2022 | Easter Blanks
Sunday, 3/27/2022 | The Arts
1. Back in the day, and sometimes still, stages were sloped. Those in the back were said to be _____________
2. A collection of art is displayed in one of these
3. That sweet heavy sound between bass and tenor
4. They’re known to “tickle the ol’ ivories”
9. Classical or Rock, these are best enjoyed enmasse
5. Music of the old old school variety
7. Classical or rock these are best enjoyed enmasse
8. Bop it, Pluck it, Bow it, and make that bass
10. This is not what you call one actor who likes another actor
Sunday, 3/6/2022 | Riddle me this, riddle me that, who’s afraid of the big black Bat?
1. An actor turned villain, this muddled member of Batman’s rogues gallery has never been pulled off in live action.
2. Bruce’s butler who recently got his own spinoff series on HBOmax
3. Just as iconic as the suit he wears, so to is his famous ride.
5. Batman was created by Bob Kane and Bill…
7. The great and powerful, is just an up and coming henchman in the new The Batman. Nickname for Oswald.
3. The ultimate mancave for men who dress up as bats.
4. While known as the ‘Dark Knight’, Adam West saw his version as another kind of Knight.
6. Where Ben Affleck’s Batman is often referred to as ‘Batfleck’, this new Batman is now being called__________
8. A statement, question or phrase having a double or veiled meaning, put forth as a puzzle to be solved.
9. The asylum they stick Gotham’s criminally insane.
Sunday, 2/20/2022 | 1st 10 Presidents
2. Not John Eves
3. William Henry ___, not ____ Ford
5. 3rd John in Office
1. Martin “vroom vroom” Buren
4. Happy Birthday Mister President
6. The other John Adams
8. Not the Square Garden
9. Doubting Thomas
10. Dollar Bill Dude
Sunday, 2/13/2022 | For the Love of the Game – Is it Love or Football
1. Playing the
6. Game time nom noms
4. Down, set, pizza
7. Be My Vincent
9. Love Muscle
Sunday, 2/6/2022 | Memory Lane – Businesses Gone From Corsicana
1. While the arcade in College Park Mall changed names a few times, this one is super obvious.
4. At some point I think everyone had a big plastic cup from this bbq place in their home.
6. Once home of Front Row Joe, now home to the word of God.
8. Their big lot was a popular hangout when taking a break from cruisin’ 7th.
2. Who hasn’t hung around the return slot in hopes someone dropped off that one new flick you just had to see? Shared the same color scheme as CHS Tigers.
3. Not many of these remain these days which likely makes JC not very happy.
5. One of the two big movie rental places; the one with the “back room” through the swinging doors…
7. This fried chicken joint is still commonly yearned for a return since it burned down in 2017.
9. Corsicana based video game company known for a number of games including John Elway’s Quarterback, Magic Johnson’s Fastbreak, and Ivan “Ironman” Stewart’s Super Off Road.
10. Before it was OnQue, which too is gone, if you were looking for that hot new tape of your favorite band, you made your way here post haste.
Sunday, 1/30/2022 | Another Word For…
Sunday, 1/23/2022 | Fight the Cold
1. The most difficult thing to get out from under on a cold morning
3. When your hands are cold you rub them together to create this, which in turn warms them up
4. What better way to keep you and your loved one warm than by doing this on the couch under a blanket
5. A southern staple comfort food that will get you shamed if you put beans in it
7. Calgon will take you away with a hot one of these
10. Nothing beats a nice warm bowl on a chilly winter’s day
2. Must own piece of clothing on cold windy days. Not a Jillet, but a…
6. Be it central or space, a must have source of heat when temps dip below freezing
8. Grab a few logs and set them ablaze in this dedicate home location
9. These hand warmers are not just for kittens who constantly misplace things
Sunday, 1/16/2022 | Slogans
1. You’ll believe a man can fly
2. They’re greeeeat! (frosted)
4. Where’s the beef?
5. Can you hear me now?
7. Think different.
8. Just do it
3. I’m lovin’ it
6. The happiest place on Earth
7. In space no one can hear you scream.
9. Kid tested. Mother approved.
Sunday, 1/9/2022 | Game Shows
1. This kid’s game show doubled down on the fun with its messy obstacle course
3. Based on the banker’s estimate players declare if it was or not was one of these
4. 10,000 Dollar Triangular Monolith
6. Spin this, guess the right letters, and your fortunes could rise
9. This game blindly matched couples and notoriously had a serial killer on one episode
2. I suppose a modern reboot of this game show would be Cash Uber
5. What is the popular game show hosted by the late great Alex Trebek
7. Bob Barker always reminded you to get your pets spayed or neutered after contestants tried to guess the price is correct
8. This show pits two families together in an altercation to guess top answers
10. The goal is to be smarter than a fifth one of these.
Sunday, 12/26/2021 | New Year’s Resolutions
1. Do this, laugh, and love – get out and experience the world.
2. Reach out and get in touch to cherish the ones you have and be a better one yourself.
3. Be it smoking, drinking, or any other addiction, it is common to swear to do this with these.
4. Get more of this and manage it better.
5. This health is often the last to get treated, even though we resolve to do things to get a head of it.
9. Buy some shelves, get some crates, look the clutter in the eye and put it all in its place.
6. Greener pastures are often sought by changing course and finding a new, better one of these that better suits your talents.
7. So many new memberships bought with the best intentions to do this more.
8. After gaining it over the holidays, it’s the most popular thing that wants to get lost.
10. Gain the knowledge to do the things you want to do.
Sunday, 12/19/2021 | Holiday Movies
1. For those looking for a little horror in their stockings, a new holiday fav featuring a horned creature that likes to scare children
3. Playful turn of legal phrase put Tim Allen in the role of the jolly fat man in Santa _________
4. Jimmy Stewart classic where he learns life cannot be good, but _____________
7. Green meanie that stole Christmas
8. Adam Sandler animated holiday movie eight _______ nights
9. Just how many times can a family forget their kid at home _________ at Christmas?
2. While often debated, there are many who make this a yearly must watch: Die _____
5. Chase the Xmas blues away with Cousin Eddie and the gang in Christmas __________
6. Bill Murray classic that puts a modern spin on the Dicken’s classic
10. Don’t get them wet, or feed them after midnight, or your holiday is gonna get wrecked with this holiday horror delight
Sunday, 12/12/2021 | Christmas Word Association
1. Stocking _________
2. ____________ Cheer
3. _____________ Carol
4. North ______
7. _____ Wrapping
6. Yule ____
8. ___________ House
9. Tiny ____
10. _________ Friday
Sunday, 12/5/2021 | Toys, Toys, Toys
1. Nintendo’s latest hit console that is in high demand.
2. No one was quite sure what they were, but every kid wanted one. They were eventually banned from high security areas as they had a habit of repeating sensitive info (or so the urban stories go).
3. Back in the day we’d be happy with a pad of paper, but these days everything is “e” this and “i” that.
4. These building bricks are a bare foot’s worst nightmare.
7. The Christmas craze over this doll may be over, but you still can’t help give one a test tickle if you pass it in a store.
8. Long ago in a toy store not so far away, these war toys were in such demand that cardboard cutouts promising they were coming sold like gangbusters.
5. Lettuce not forget the 80’s toy store chaos these kids caused.
6. Gotta catch ’em all!
9. This toy was made up just for a movie that then became the holidays hottest gift all thanks to a kid whose parents forgot him twice.
10. Everything old is new again, and this green baby from a galaxy far far away is all the rage.
Sunday, 11/28/2021 | Christmas Songs
1. Once you’ve crossed the river you must traverse these to get to your mother’s mother’s house
3. Not just a tasty frozen treat from Wendy’s, but also a bulbous magical friend with a hat
4. Not peach or cherry, but the kind that make Christmas Shoes that make you cry
5. Three royal figures that followed a bright star of wonder
7. Rudolph should have his license revoked after plowing down this family matriarch
9. Sometimes all you want for Christmas are two of these in the front
2. Oh what kind of clue should I put for this divine night…
6. Holly sure liked decking the halls with these
8. Bells jingle as this crime fighter emits a foul odor
10. This young man of the front lines gave the gift of rhythm and a good beat
Sunday, 11/21/2021 | Rhymes With Turkey
1. Don’t stop believing that one of these is more important than the destination
2. When reading my hints, you might say my sense of humor is a bit _______
4. When the Thanksgiving feast is ready but that one family member still isn’t there everyone wishes they would _______!
5. She was curious about what you were gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside your trunk
7. When someone is looking cheerful and lively you could say they are _______
3. That thing you always struggle with when doing crossfit
6. If you’re eating out this Turkey Day, don’t expect this Bill to show up as he’s busy bustin’ ghosts
8. Brown gravy kind of looks like a ________ swamp.
9. When this pig appears you’ll know “That’s all folks!”
10. Pennsylvania’s little chocolate kisses
Sunday, 10/31/2021 | Costume Capers
2. This little Italian plumber will likely shout “It’s a-me!” when you open your door
3. This “Mistress of the Dark” is known for her haunted hills and B-movie marathon commentary
4. The green version of this ranger just visited Corsicana and has been a popular costume since the 90s
5. Fairytale royalty staple for generations, usually of the Disney variety
7. Netflix’s _______ Game is inspiration for this year’s popular new costume
1. Old as dirt, wrapped up in his own tissues
6. When the moon is full, so should your candy bowl be when this transformed creature howls for some treats
8. This hairy beast known for it’s shoe size is rarely seen outside of blurry photos yet often appears at your door each year for candy
9. Popular bloodsucker and candy hoarder that hates sunlight
10. Popular brand of 70’s and 80’s costumes with cheap plastic masks and garbage back like body suits
Sunday, 10/17/2021 | Candy, Candy, Candy!
1. If you get hangry whilst Trick-or-Treating, best hope you get some of these, because nobody likes you when your hungry
2. This candy vegetable is quite divisive amongst Halloween candy enthusiast
4. Taste the rainbow
6. The size most candy companies make their bars for Trick-or-Treaters
8. You’re either a Lefty or a Righty according to this candy’s commercials
3. The best kind of cup you can get in your candy sack
5. Lactose infused duds
7. These bursts are big and bright deep in the heart of Texas
9. Pucker up and prepare yourself for some Hershey’s affectionate confections
Sunday, 10/10/2021 | To Kill a Mockingbird
1. Jem’s actual first name
2. Jean Louis’ nick name in her youth
3. One of the most iconic literary bird themed lawyers
5. Author of the beloved book that inspired the classic movie and play
7. Who could ever forget when this character stands to reveal the condition of his left hand
8. Sir name of the dirt poor family responsible for
9. This kid finds himself in a pickle when his mom remarries
4. This Radley is no ghost, despite what his nick name is
6. The fictional town where all too real events take place
7. One heck of a Sheriff
10. Scene stealing cook for Atticus
Sunday, 10/3/2021 | Blank Places to Eat, Mexican Edition
2. Taco ______ till you drop
3. Mi taco _____, es su taco ______
4. The civilization may be ancient but the food is fresh. ________ Cocina
6. These Tuesday treats really ring a ______ Bell
8. Gotta have the orange dip at Old __________ Inn (yes, this is a gimme)
1. The kitchen of _____ Marias
5. Get out of your shell and into this one for their tasty special El Zapo meta blend
7. Atwoods, at Kerens, or wherever they may be at, _______ Station
9. The only meadow I know to get Frog Dip. La _______
10. The little shop on 24th is now a cabin La ________
Sunday, 9/26/2021 | Corsicana Arts & Entertainment
1. This cool cat was always in the front row at Cinemark Cinema IV
2. This theatre and gallery is truly a Center for Living Arts
4. Country outlaw that left us too soon
5. While nowhere as big as Nashville’s, Corsicana’s is still a fine place to catch local and touring bands
6. This museum and gallery is located at Navarro College
3. An entertainment venue fit for a Sultan
4. New shop opened up by the Corsicana Artist & Writer Residency
7. Local game publisher famous for titles like Double Dragon and Battletoads
8. An odd nick name for a musician who was right handed
9. The stars at night are always big and bright inside this
Sunday, 9/19/2021 | End of Summer
1. Have a nice trip, see you next…
2. Summer cruises on this avenue were popular for many of the local youth
3. A Navarro County city or the name of your great aunt
6. Popular HBO series and small town in Navarro County
8. The fluffiest festival in the county
4. Lake Sherbert, no, wait, it’s Lake…
5. They say there ain’t no cure for this summertime malady
7. The only chambers you can boat in
9. Some call the end of summer Fall, others call it…
10. This lawn extends from Y to 22
2. This Navarro County city is mighty tasty
3. NCG’s graphic designer and co-founder
4. Biggest city in Navarro County
1. The county we cover
5. Last name of NCG co-founder and editor in chief
6. How many years has the Navarro County Gazette been in business
7. A Navarro County city that you find on your windows in winter
8. Corsicana’s downtown is often referred to as this
9. Current Corsicana mayor