By Martha Phillips – Special to the Navarro County Gazette
Goin’ Through the Big C
Let’s start by talking about chemotherapy. My first four chemo treatments are every 14 days and it is called “The Red Devil” for a couple of reasons:
1. It turns your urine a dark orange/red color
2. It’s a harsh chemotherapy treatment. My oncologist told me this chemo has a long list of possible side effects that I may or may not have. He said the two for sure side effects would be losing my hair and feeling fatigue. I’m bald, but haven’t had fatigue.
Some of the “maybe” side effects that I have are minor digestive discomfort, I have one sore on the inside of my cheek and food and drinks do not taste the same. In fact, after my last treatment I wasn’t drinking enough and because my blood pressure runs low normally, being a little dehydrated caused it to drop even more and to the point of passing out when I stood up, and I have the bruises to show for it. Things that do taste good are lemonade, barbecue, Italian food and Mexican food, which brings me full circle back to “digestive discomfort.”
Now shall we count my blessings?
- My bald head is cute and round!
- I feel well!
- I have a great Church family and support system!
- My husband is THE BEST!
- My two grown sons that live out of state call me often.
- My one grown son that lives local visits and helps often.
- I have the absolute most adorable grandson that lives with his momma in my house.
- My grandson’s momma is a neat freak and super organized! My house stays clean!
- My daughter-in-law who is a personal trainer, helps keep my wellness and exercise on track and keeps me accountable.
- Friends that pray and more!! Let me tell you, I had no idea how many people genuinely love and care for me!
- GOD is GOOD ALL THE TIME!
I am thankful for every woman who has gone before me on this breast cancer journey. Each and every one of them paved the way for me to have better treatment options than they did. They paved the way with their own pain and suffering and some of them even with their life.
She is Strong … Proverbs 31:25
Please be sure to support those that support us here at the NCG and check out our advertisers:
Goin’ Postal | CANA Girl Speaks Podcast | Warehouse Living Arts Center | Salvation Army | Moe Law Offices PLLC | Immaculate Conception Catholic Church Corsicana
A big THANK YOU to our supporters: Hull Creative Arts Foundation, The Lampiers
If you too would like to help financially support the Navarro County Gazette please email us at email@example.com