By John F. Kaiser III – Navarro County Gazette
For twenty-two years now the Navarro Council of the Arts has hosted an annual Student Art Show in the Warehouse Living Arts Center’s Gallery. Students from all across Navarro County submit their work to be displayed, from elementary kids up through sigh school. This exhibit is currently on display at the WLAC and will run through May 21. The gallery is located at 119 W, Sixth Avenue, and is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
This year’s theme was “YOUR Great Outdoors” where they asked students to go outside and draw, or take a picture of, what their personal great outdoors looks like. Over two hundred entries were submitted, which align just about every available wall space the gallery has to offer.
This year the NCA were honored to partner with the Corsicana Visitors Bureau for a “Special Award”. These 10 honorees will have their art featured in marketing for Corsicana and the Downtown area. This artwork will be reproduced in large format and hung in buildings around downtown. Additionally, once the exhibit at the WLAC is over, the original artwork will be hung at the Corsicana Visitors Center, located at 301 S. Beaton Street.
Due to COVID-19 regulations an in-person reception was not held this year. Awards and cash prizes will be brought to the schools to presented at awards day.
- First place: Cameron Scott – Sam Houston Elementary
- Second place: Ajayla Jackson – Fannin Elementary
- Third place: Dalay Renzel – Sam Houston Elementary
Honorable Mentions: Mildred: Jriel Ochoa, Fannin Elementary – Cruz Vega, Bowie Elementary – Trinity Barker, and Luis Trujillo, Carroll Elementary – Estrella Hildago, Amy Farelas, and Sam Houston Elementary – Benjamin Gonzalez, Yandel Contreras, Ivan Suarez, Herman Pegueros, Alison Juarez, Yulibini Hernandez, Yanet Velasco, Victoria Cortes, Riley Mitchell, Leslye Ortega, Natalie Valadez, Kate Lossiter, Skyler Itschner, Elias Jamie, Averi Serotko.
Junior High Division (5th-8th grades)
- First place: Sa’Sha Mills – Corsicana Middle School
- Second place: Kealey Barton – Corsicana Middle School
- Place place: Chloe Motley – Corsicana Middle School
Honorable Mentions: Ashytn Wright – Corsicana Middle School
High School Division
- First place: Ashley DeChaume – Dawson High School
- Second place: Josie Oakes- Dawson High School
- Thirdd place: Kaylee Ann Orr – Dawson High School
CVB Special Award Winners:
- Andi Griggs – Mildred Elementary
- Liah Cruz Rveda – Sam Houston Elementary
- Melanie Martinez – Dawson
- Aiden Castillo – Bowie
- Addie Burke – Collins Intermediate
- Twojay Williams – Bowie
- Chloe Motley – Corsicana Middle School
- Caleb Holeman – Mildred
- Madden Gunter – Mildred
- Sa’Sha Mills – Corsicana Middle School
- Pens to Lens Student Filmmaking Competition Deadline ApproachingFrom Staff Reports The deadline is approaching to submit entries to Navarro County Pens to
- Fun Town RV Heritage Bowl to Pit A&M-Kingsville Versus East Central (Okla.)From Staff Reports The Fun Town RV Heritage Bowl matchup is set, and it features
- ‘Transformative’ Penguin Project returns with ‘Shrek Jr. The Musical’From Staff Reports To call The Penguin Project a “production company” would be somewhat true.